Over the past 10 years, Dr. Zhang’s research has been primarily focused on the intersection of engineering and public policy, with an emphasis on building and global urban decarbonization. In aiming to accelerate energy technology innovation and practices to help stabilize climate change, she takes an interdisciplinary approach to inform energy policy. One of her early scientific contributions was serving as a contributing author to the IPCC Special Report on Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation, chapter 8 ‘Integration of Renewable Energy into Present and Future Energy Systems’ (2010).
At Berkeley Lab, Dr. Zhang has been leading research and coordinating bilateral efforts in two presidential initiatives between the U.S. and China; the U.S.-China Clean Energy Research Center for Water-Energy Technologies and the U.S.-China Climate Change Working Group Climate-Smart Cities Initiative. She provides project management and research design to the “Innovation Decision Sciences” team at Berkeley Lab. Dr. Zhang has extensive professional experience addressing distinct governance settings and industry structures, and how they impact the uptake of innovation by both people and organizations. These include energy efficiency and urban sustainability, net-zero energy building, industrialized construction, solar PV systems, energy storage, and water-energy nexus.
Selected Awards and Funding
- Climate-Tech Policy Scholar, Information Technology & Innovation Foundation, 2022
- The U.S. Economic Development Administration's $1 Billion Build Back Better Regional Challenge Phase-1 Finalist, 2021
- Laboratory Directed Research and Development “Water-Energy Initiative”: Managing water use to reshape electricity loads: A user-oriented approach,Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 2018
- Talent of the year, Eliassons Family Foundation and Lund University, 2015
- Research Exchange Scholar, Swedish Royal Physiographic Society, 2014
- Marie Curie Fellow, European Commission, 2013
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarship, European Commission, 2010-2013
Please note that only publications associated with Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory are listed on this page. To learn more about my work, see https://www.linkedin.com/in/jingjing-zhang-37a85939/